So here we are...three years later from originally giving thought to this venture, out in Seoul, Korea. A 21 hour trip...the umbilical cord finally cut from my nuclear (and extended) family...doing just what I said I would do; survive solely in God's care.
SCARY. TERRIFYING. OVERWHELMING.
Now that I've "confessed", I reflect on my thoughts. As with any new thing there is hesitation and doubt. Excitement really hit upon flying over the country. I think I was moreso concerned with all the moving. Moving my office out, then moving my apartment out...and finally moving my life into boxes and then overseas. Exhausting? Yes. This might be why all the sadness and negative emotions about leaving haven't hit yet. Or maybe it's because I did this before in 1996 and I'm all better equipped with grown-up coping skills. Who can say? Honestly? I'm thankful to be here. I needed this change. Not only because of my life-span-burning 9-to-5 as a makeshift social worker/ part time parent, but because I believe that as a Christian professing to actively want to go to Heaven, nothing is happening to deepen that relationship with Him. I'm almost 32. It's time to change some things (and hopefully my final destination isn't one of them).
The airport is spotless. The flight, though long and bumpy was cool (enough entertainment in there to satisfy me. That should say something!) and I was randomly picking off my cohorts to Samyook out of the passenger crowd. Looks can be deceiving and people seems to be way cool. Being greeted by the pastor freaked me out. He hugged me like he loved me, missed me and was grateful for my coming. Christians don't do that a lot these days...He's an interesting guy. His morning devotion today was about growth. He said that your faith over time and your relationship with God shouldn't stay the same, that anything that doesn't grow is dead. For a man that doesn't speak English well, he sure was profound. Got an early lesson in humility and service...the reason for being here. We're camped out in the "guest house" which is down a dark alley, with small twin beds, one and a half showers, toilets that you can't flush toilet paper down (help us Lord) and sitting on top a septic tank that smells like wild boar country. How are we coping? We laugh. A lot. What's there to be mad about? I'm in a foreign country I'd likely never have visited on my own, surrounded by lush landscape, mountains and high rises everywhere. As of now, I have want for nothing and have two roommates who I'm bonding with unreasonably fast. It's like I've known them for years.
So what if the place smells a little? I'm not here to stay at the Crowne Plaza. I'm here to be what Jesus was...a servant. I recognize that I have hard work ahead of me, principally with tempering myself. But with God's help and me trying my best...there's no stopping what I can do. I can say that. I've been to every continent (now) but Australia and Africa. That's a feat for a big head little Trini boy. I'm going to stay on this ride for as long as I can. No doubt it'll be bumpy but I'm not worried. It's nothing God can't handle and I'm still amazed at what He can and IS doing...

I can't explain but I've been in denial about you leaving. Clearly when I got your email this morning I. almost. started. to. cry. I am so happy for you though, so I won't. Please let me know the time difference there so I can bug you on Facetime. Now I'm off to cry for real. BYE!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you're adjusting well Wendell. Thanks for the update! I enjoyed reading it! Thanks to technology you'll never be too far away. :o)
ReplyDeleteBoy! Am I proud and happy. If this is what it takes to find yourself and who God wants you to be, then keep moving forward. Am always here for you.
ReplyDeleteWendell, since Kieron sent me the link to your blog I have been following your blogs and I cannot express how proud I am of you again. While reading my eyes are actually filling with tears. But they are all tears of joy for you and your accomplishments and for those still to come. I believe being a servant of God is one of the most noble and selfless acts a person can engage in. May God continue to richly bless you on your life journey. Love, Peace and Blessings always. Aunty Allison
ReplyDelete