Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Rebuked How I Love To Proclaim It...

Jet lag is kicking my behind and I am totally dying here. We just discovered that the house has no vents because the heating is actually IN the floor. Neat! Now if it were only comfortable enough to sleep on....

Jesus is some kinda' person. EVERY. SINGLE. CONVERSATION. that I have with my roommates (who I call Porthos and Aramis) is either reinforced in worship OR addressed by some seemingly divine intervention. Just now, we were walking home talking about needing to get power converters for our devices. An administrative person we met on day one happened to walk by at that same moment and took us down one of these lovely seedy alleys into a store we'd NEVER have found and now we're all powered up. God is really taking care of the small things to help us trust Him with the big. It's an AWESOME feeling.

I had a micro breakdown today. Wanna know why?

I was rebuked.


Yep. Like all day. First, in devotion...it was shared that only time can tell if we are of Christ. We're to honestly look for ways to help our fellow man and observe them as one who would be held accountable for the souls of men. What if your actions and words directly influenced someone's decision for Hellfire? What if you had to explain to God every single time you had a hand in that? The thought terrified me. I have done a great many things to lead others to folly. Why am I here? Some come for money. Some come for a change of pace. Some come to find an exotic woman to marry. But those who are really here to witness for Christ will be revealed in their lifestyle, the joy in their hearts and their ability to win souls to him over the passage of time. I desperately and aggressively do not want to be found wanting. I want to be here for the right reason.

The second rebuke came in the form of my roommate Daniel sharing his fear about the ability to do mission because of the perception that he has insufficient faith. As I spoke to him about the very decision to come here and the fact that missionary work is a refining process for the missionary himself, that one does not come ready-made and that prayerfully, God can help him achieve all that he needs to be successful, it was as if I was talking to myself and God was enjoying a hearty laugh. This whole faith-building thing with Him is NO JOKE. He will see you through it but it's the jumping off the cliff at His command that's the doozy.

The last two class members came today. They're cool and sang along with me as I burst out a rendition of the Antoine Dodson classic Bedroom Intruder song. We opened bank accounts today and learned a little about Korean culture (including how disrespectful it is to point at someone with your index finger, wear shoes indoors or make eye contact). More orientation is on the way, the food (though vegetarian) is really good and we've got air freshners now! Yay!

 Now all I need to figure out is how to stop waking up at 3:00am...

No comments:

Post a Comment