Hi.
Before we start...sorry. I know I've been absent for QUITE some time, but you see...the truth is...I'm having trouble adjusting.
It's true.
I like kimchi (no, none one is holding a gun to my head), I do...but I don't like my eggs, my juice, my yogurt, my fruit and vegetables or anything else for that matter smelling like the stuff. The kimchi juice smell? Heaven help us! It's the essence of shrimp and chitterlings! I can't do it Jesus...I just...I just can't!
In orientation, we were told that there is a phase you will go through after the honeymoon period wears off where you are like "what am I doing here?" and "did I make the right decision?". I am not going through those questions. Mine sound more like "How in all that is righteous am I going to survive 2+ years of this?!"
There is something indescribable about waking up every day being unable to read, write or communicate with the general public effectively, not knowing where everything is and making incremental progress to finding out everything around you. Your food availability is limited (shrimp, octopus and pork abound) and R&R options are about as limited as the words in Korean you speak.
I've been cursed out twice since being here: about two weeks ago by a drunkard on the train telling me to "be quiet!" before rambling obscenities in Korean that caused another native to apologize to my peers thereafter and then again this week when one of my prized students blind-sided me by becoming irate about me not starting class on-time because I wait for more than just her and her sister to arrive before I start teaching. In the first instance, I played the part of dumb foreigner who didn't understand (secretly hoping he would come over and get in my face so I could massacre him) and the second time, I chose the higher path of humility and non-confrontation which I must say took everything in me. I am in a foreign country. I don't sleep enough. I eat whatever I can, the majority of which can't be healthy. I have limited access to my family and friends. I am frequently lonely, bored or hungry. I have a foot fungus (YAY!) that scorches my feet up on the daily. I hate Mondays. I hate 7am on Mondays. I left all that I was and have to come here and be scolded by a student?!...yeah...all those thoughts had to go slithering into my lockbox lest I end up on the six o' clock news. My co-ordinator (who is like a boss, but cooler) did share this good piece of perspective: It is a good thing when you overcome some character flaw that God puts you through to test and shape you but you can't help but wonder what is the boss on the next level of this video game we call life?
Am I ready for the next boss?
*blink*
*blink, blink*
Anyway, I visited another major city called Daejeon which is decidedly less jammed-packed than Seoul and is adorned with the nice buildings AND beautiful scenery in the near and far distance. I think I like it there better. Sure one would sacrifice many of the tourist attractions and conveniences but the hustle and bustle can be depressing in a city that never sleeps. Especially when you find yourself feeling alone in it. Facebook is fast becoming a drug as it is the easiest way to connect to the planet of people who can laugh, understand...even SPEAK to me.
I found the GAP the other day in the mall here by me. It was comforting to see it and even though almost NOTHING in there will fit me and several (many) items are ridiculously overpriced, it gave me pleasure to see something familiar. I have to watch spending money too. I think I've taken to buying junk food A.K.A. comfort food because I can readily identify it and when bored with nowhere to go and nothing to do, snacking hits the spot. I know it's not healthy, I know...but hey...at least it's not porn. Right?
The semester has just about two/three weeks left and I wonder...is it better to have two months of class with guaranteed breaks in the middle or how we do it back in America with longer semesters and longer breaks in between? I haven't made my mind up yet. I have made my mind up on the need to educate many people about what they consider "the West" and "Western" food. It is very perplexing. The widespread belief is that western food and westerners are generally much more unhealthy than the Koreans. When I asked just where the West was, they replied "everything outside of Asia".
:-|
So American, Indian?? the ENTIRE African diaspora, Caribbean (in all its variety), South American, Hawaiian, Central American, Arctic, Antarctic, European, Middle-Eastern, Australian...basically, EVERYWHERE ELSE ON PLANET EARTH is unhealthy compared to Korean cuisine. Umm...I'm not even going to go there. Let's just say a reality check is needed. And why would there be such a Westernization of the culture if it...nevermind.
So yeah...I'm going through it. But I am determined to not pack my stuff up and say "screw it". I will say this though. Salvation comes in the form of the Jjimjilbang a.k.a. the Korean Bathhouse. Don't be afraid. It's not what you think and I can SEE the panic written in your face. Another blog on that experience will come later. You will laugh yourself to death or be terrified and run fleeing in terror. Either way, it'll be entertaining, so pray for me, stay tuned and the occasional (lies...FREQUENT) words of encouragement, facebook message, e-mail or care-package for the generous (^_^) will be well appreciated.
Plus Side: My roommate and I occasionally play Street Fighter 4 for PS3. Someone recommend some good, yet simple two player games please...
No comments:
Post a Comment