PRAISE MERCIFUL AND HOLY CHRIST!
I promise you...it has not been an easy semester and I've not yet begun to take on all the responsibilities that a Missionary Teacher may be asked. I see now that it shall be solely through Christ's power and reliance on Him that I will be successful in my venture here. My dear reader, as you continue with me through this journey, I encourage and solicit your prayers. You may not know what good they do but rest assured that the longer I remain here is a direct result and correlation of how much you pray. Now...on to my thoughts.
The last few days have been terribly hectic. We lost one of our teachers. Her 1 year contract is up and she is back home to California. Godspeed Jolanda Kumakaw. She's hands-down the youngest and wittiest of us all and her energy will undoubtedly be missed. We've all been avoidant of the fact she'd be leaving today so last night at the end-of-term English festival, it was a crying fest. Remember, my institute is all women except for me, my math-teaching roommate and the Director, our pastor. The children did very well at the competition yesterday and Jolanda, the Pastor and I played Paula, Simon and Randy. it was hard to pick a winner so both of my classes won. Needless to say I'm most pleased. I posted their video on facebook, but for all of you who don't get down with the social networking, you may see them below.
Aren't they adorable?! Mr. Front-and-Center frequently wants to answers question in class or run up to me for hugs out of class. They ALMOST make me want to have children of my own. Then the screaming and jumping starts and I return to my right mind. Anyway...I also had to say goodbye to my Level 1 and Level 2 adult students who I have come to enjoy teaching. In teaching them English, I have learned so much about devotion, kindness, patience, controlling one's temper, being an example at ALL times and in ALL situations and I have learned a tremendous amount about being humble, open-minded and one of the intrinsic truths of missionary work. You often believe you are going on a mission trip to minister to others when in fact, chief among those being ministered to...is YOU! God's children come from everywhere and they all look and behave different. Never, EVER believe that you have the foresight to see and identify them all. Anyway, they really found me a good teacher and were sad to know I won't teach them in their next levels...I myself was hoping to teach Levels 2 and 3, but I am being assigned to Level 4 because of my proficiency in teaching. God is good.
Below are some pictures of my students:-
Don't you laugh at my hat. This was taken at our staff meeting. These are all the English-teaching teachers at Sangdo from Zimbabwe/ South Africa, California/Indonesia, Georgia/ Trinidad, Chicago/ Boston and Korea.
There's one thing I think is interesting to mention. I was not that impressed with just the slice of cake so I decided to go get me a whole cake later on that night. I never did though because I was tired and decided I'd get around to it the next day thinking to myself "God, a slice of cake wasn't exactly what I had in mind...". I came home and ate my ramen and had an ugly conversation with a friend who essentially proved the need to be a part of my past and not my present or future. And went to my A2 class who all sang me happy birthday (which left me grinning like an idiot) and then my A3 class (where they all shouted happy birthday to me) before heading home again. Something about the kids excitement about my birthday made it...special. One girl from A2 came downstairs and brought me a happy Birthday Santa Origami. I swear I want to adopt her. She's also my favorite student in the class. So meek and gentle and respectful. God PLEASE let me have a daughter with those characteristics.
So anyway, I go to class right? And end the night uneventfully. Looked for my family to Skype them but no dice. I did end up talking myself into sleep with one of my newfound friends. The next morning? When I went to class? Why did one of my students bring me a whole cake? Good things come to those who wait. I was most pleased! Still haven't eaten it yet! And that same day, my horseman Mark and I went to Itaewon (the part of town for English-speakers) and had Thai just the way I actually wanted it. God be praised. It's the small things that count and though it wasn't quite what I expected...it was meaningful and celebrated for two days. Next year? I'm asking God for a new iPad 3 and Cheesecake Factory Miso Salmon (since He delivers soooo well!)
So anyway, I go to class right? And end the night uneventfully. Looked for my family to Skype them but no dice. I did end up talking myself into sleep with one of my newfound friends. The next morning? When I went to class? Why did one of my students bring me a whole cake? Good things come to those who wait. I was most pleased! Still haven't eaten it yet! And that same day, my horseman Mark and I went to Itaewon (the part of town for English-speakers) and had Thai just the way I actually wanted it. God be praised. It's the small things that count and though it wasn't quite what I expected...it was meaningful and celebrated for two days. Next year? I'm asking God for a new iPad 3 and Cheesecake Factory Miso Salmon (since He delivers soooo well!)
This is pretty impressive considering I turned off my FB birthday so that people would not be notified that it was my special day. I dunno...it felt more authentic that way, like people would really pay attention or be forced to remember. The wishes were much fewer than last year (on my recently and temporarily enabled facebook wall) but they were more meaningful. Perhaps I need to do that more often...expect less and hang around children on my special day.
I'm sure there are more noteworthy things to talk about but for now, I'll just post this stunning picture that made me laugh. What's wrong with this picture?
I'm sure there are more noteworthy things to talk about but for now, I'll just post this stunning picture that made me laugh. What's wrong with this picture?
Next Up: Wait...Where am I?
No comments:
Post a Comment